Happy New Year.
Thanks to all those who came down to get Book Club going for 2018. We had a great discussion about 'The Man in the High Castle' by Philip K Dick. The book managed to get 6.5 from both groups so a unanimous decision.
January has a big book in it and on Thursday 25th January we will be discussing ' L.A. Confidential' by James Elroy. It's a gripping read so you might manage to blast through it if you haven't already started.
Next Book Club
Thursday 8th February we'll be reading 'Americanah' by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie.
This is unsuprisingly Book Clubbers in the pub. Everyone is very welcome and it's a good chance to get to know people a little better. Future dates are:
- Friday 2nd February, The Devonshire Cat (tbc), 8pm
- Friday 18th May, venue TBC, 8pm
Book Club Weekend Away to Oxford
In conjunction with reading Phillip Pulman for Big Book in April we are going to go to Oxford for the weekend of 28th - 29th April 2018. We have a few ideas of what we could do but nothing is decided as yet. We are thinking of arranging a guided tour of the Bodleian library, guided literary walking tour, possibly a visit to Christ Church, a visit to the Ashmolean? There is also a production of Shakespeare's 'Pericles - Prince De Tyr' at the Oxford playhouse on the Saturday night that we could look into.
Everyone is welcome as are other halves or friends. When we went to Stratford people arranged their own accommodation centrally and we met for the days activities. The YHA has a lot of small rooms which makes for very affordable accommodation. People may want to coordinate staying together or we can do that for you if you are new to the group. We could arrange for car pooling or coordinate train rides
This is all very much up for discussion but if you're interested then put it in your diary and let us know so we can start to get an idea of numbers.
We are thinking of going to see One Flew Over the Cuckoo's nest at the Crucible in July. Either Thursday 14th or 21st. Put the date in your diary if you're interested as we will be taking names soon and hopefully we will get enough people for a group ticket which gives us some money off.
Future Book List - THE NEW LIST FOR 2018
- Feb 8th - Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie - 400
- March 8th - Wuthering Heights - Emily Bronte - 272
- April 12th - The Singing Sands by Josephine Tey - 256
- May 10th - The Martian by Andy Weir - 369
- June 14th - Wild by Cheryl Strayed - 336
- July 12th - Wild Pork and Watercress by Barry Crump - 202
- Aug 9th - My Brilliant Friend by Elena Ferrante - 336
- Sep 13th - The Human Stain by Phillip Roth - 384
- Oct 11th - The Reader on the 6.27 by Jean-Paul Didierlaurent - 208
- Nov 8th - True History of the Kelly Gang by Peter Carey - 432
- Dec 13th - The Princess Bride by William Goldman - 336
This happens every 3 months and it gives us the opportunity to read bigger books we don't have time for at 'normal' Book Club.
- Jan 25th - L.A. Confidential by James Ellroy - 512 pages
- April 26th - The Book of Dust Vol 1: La Belle Sauvage by Phillip Pullman - 560 (not too expensive for people we hope, even in hard back)
- July 26th - Middlemarch by George Elliot - 736
- Oct 25th -The count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas - 928 (buckle up!)
If you have read this next month's book and want to pass the book on, just post on our Facebook page.
Rachel & Emily