Thanks to the multitude who came down for the last Book Club, it was excellent and got our year off to a good start. Mrs Dalloway had some polar views and despite some great individual scores it had a rather sorry overall score of 6.92.
Next time remember to go to the bar first for a drink before sitting down at 7.45, we want to try and avoid overcrowding people still eating.
Next Book Club is Wednesday 11th February 7.30 at the Crucible Corner. This month we are reading 'The Peculiar Life of a Lonely Postman' by Denis Theriault.
"...Secretly steaming open envelopes and reading the letters inside, Bilodo has found an escape from his lonely and routine life as a postman. When one day he comes across a mysterious letter containing only a single haiku, he finds himself avidly caught up in the relationship between a long-distance couple, who write to each other using only beautiful poetry. He feasts on their words, vicariously living a life for which he longs. But it will only be a matter of time before his world comes crashing down around him…"
The next pub event is Friday 6th February, 7.30 at The Red Deer in town. Everyone is welcome to come along.
Book Club trip to Bath
This year's outing is going to be to the lovely Spa town of Bath, loosely related to reading Persuasion in April. We need to get a date ASAP so we can start booking things like accommodation etc. How do people feel about the May Bank Holiday weekend, May 2nd - 4th? This would give an extra day for travel etc.
What worked well last time is people organising their own accommodation centrally and then meeting up to do things in the town. We could see if there are any good deals on although probably not likely over the BH. Once we've set the date we can get moving to organise anything else we fancy, I'm sure it will involve a trip to the Baths.
Please email if you are interested and we can chat more and decide a date at the next Book Club.
2015 Book list
- Feb - The Peculiar life of the Lonely Postman by Denis Theriault
- March - Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vannegut
- April - Persuasion by Jane Austen
- May - Tainspotting by Irvine Welsh
- June - The Catcher in the Rye by J.D.Salinger
- July - Brooklyn by Colm Toibin
- Aug - The Hound of the Baskervilles by Arthur Conan Doyle
- Sept - The Reader by Prof Bernhard Schlink
- Oct - Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
This is an extra Book Club that happens every 3 months to allow us extra time to read a bigger book. It is on the 4th Wednesday of the month, 7.30 at the Crucible Corner.
- 25th March - The Blind Assassin by Margaret Attwood
- 24th June - American Gods - Neil Gaiman
- 23rd Sept - The Stand - Stephen King