Thanks to all those who came down for 'The Reader'. As always it was a fascinating discussion.
Next Book Club is Wednesday 14th October 7.30 at the Crucible Corner. We are reading 'Frankenstein' by Mary Shelley. It needs little introduction but you may not have actually read the book before, enjoy!
New Book List
Thank you for all the suggestions for the new book list. We have now compiled a list of the books for the next few months, including those for Big Book. We hope there are at least a few on here that you will enjoy. As always we have tried to get a varied mix of styles and genres.
- Nov 11th - I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith
- Dec 9th - An Inspector Calls by J. B. Priestly (a play which is showing in February)
- Jan 13th - Atonement by Ian McEwan
- Feb 10th - The Secret History by Donna Tartt
- March 9th - The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot
- April 13th - The Tenant of Wildfell Hall by Anne Bronte
- May 11th - No Country for Old Men by Cormac McCarthy
- June 8th - Sons and Lovers by D. H. Lawrence
- July 13th - Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes
- Jan 27th - The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay by Michael Chabbon
- April 27th - A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving
- July 27th - Testament of Youth by Vera Brittain
Wednesday 30th September, Crucible Corner, 7.30. This month we'll be reading a couple of Romantic classics by John Keats: 'Ode to a Nightingale' and 'Ode on a Grecian Urn'. These are two of Keats' more famous poems, exploring the timeless Romantic themes of beauty and death, as well as, er, ornithology and pottery.
Off the Shelf
The Sheffield Literary festival is happening and Clare would like to promote a 'Meet the author' event with Simon Beckett. Friday 16th Oct, Frecheville Library. For further details, see the link
National Theatre Live
The Broadway production of 'Of Mice and Men' by John Steinbeck is showing at the Showroom cinema. Thursday 19th November, 7.00. We think for this trip it might be easier for people to buy their own tickets and we can meet before hand.
Check out the Facebook page fore further events in the offing.
This is an extra Book Club that happens every 3 months to allow us extra time to read a bigger book. It is on the 4th Wednesday of the month, 7.30 at the Crucible Corner.
Rachel & Emily