Book Club is this Wednesday 8th April 7.30 at the Crucible Corner. We're going classic and reading 'Persuasion' by Jane Austen.
"Twenty-seven-year old Anne Elliot is Austen's most adult heroine. Eight years before the story proper begins, she is happily betrothed to a naval officer, Frederick Wentworth, but she precipitously breaks off the engagement when persuaded by her friend Lady Russell that such a match is unworthy. A story of regret and the question of whether a reunion is possible? This is Jane Austen's final finished work."
Remember book club is all about giving you an opportunity to read things you might not naturally pick up (again!?).
Next Poetry club is on Wednesday 22nd April, subject to be decided
Book Club trip to Bath
This year's outing is going to be to the lovely Spa town of Bath, loosely related to reading Persuasion in April. We are going with Saturday May 2nd till the 3rd or 4th. Most transport and accommodation is booked but it's not too late to join us! Let us know.
2015 Book list
- April - Persuasion by Jane Austen
- May - Tainspotting by Irvine Welsh
- June - The Catcher in the Rye by J.D.Salinger
- July - Brooklyn by Colm Toibin
- Aug - The Hound of the Baskervilles by Arthur Conan Doyle
- Sept - The Reader by Prof Bernhard Schlink
- Oct - Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
This is an extra Book Club that happens every 3 months to allow us extra time to read a bigger book. It is on the 4th Wednesday of the month, 7.30 at the Crucible Corner.
- 24th June - American Gods - Neil Gaiman
- 23rd Sept - The Stand - Stephen King
Rachel & Emily